Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What is Expected in my Future.

Seeing as how I'm into my 20s now, the topic of marriage and children is one that just appears frequently in my life now. I always seem to get entangled in a conversation about marriage and procreating, and I always get people who try and convince me that having kids and getting hitched is something that I'll desire when I'm older. For some apparent reason, it's ingrained into us that this is the one goal in life that tops every other goal we have. I kind of wince when people say "oh, when you have kids..."like it's something that's absolutely expected from me...from everyone around me!

Before I continue, I just want to point out something. This is all of my personal opinion about why I, personally, don't want these things in my life. I'm not saying that having kids is wrong. Or that marriage is wrong. It simply, isn't for me.

So why don't I want to get married? Why do I not want any children? 

Firstly the concept of marriage, to me, is quite archaic. I'd love to have a wedding without the marriage. I'd love to celebrate love, but getting married isn't about the ceremony or the celebration - it's a legally binding contract. I know more divorcees than I know married couples, I'll be honest. Sometimes it's sad, other times it's relieving, and sometimes your love changes. I would, however, would not like to take my chances and deal with the heartbreak, the expense, or anything else for that matter.

Most of all, and biggest of all... Yes, I'm 24 and no, that opinion will likely never change with age. Marriage is for some people; marriage isn't for me. Neither is having children of my own.

So, why no children, Rose?

I have a few medical issues that I really don't want to pass down. The big two being hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease and although [supposedly] not genetic, I'd rather not have a child of mine learn from myself any traits I portray of Bipolar Disorder (which, actually, is part of my thyroid issues, but still.) So really, it's not that I don't like children - in fact, I do quite like them; but to be fair, I don't want to introduce someone into a world where I know my faults will cause someone a great difficulty as I've had.

So there you have it folks. I won't die sad and lonely as many of you fear, I have a different view and I believe that I would be much happier this way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment