Saturday, December 1, 2012

Finding Sanctuary

In lieu of my first post, I thought in sharing that story that completely changed my entire life that I'd write something about how I came to be here, in the present moment.

The Present Moment.

I recently took up practicing yoga and those words have echoed from teacher to teacher. It's something I feel like everyone struggles with when they think of how they can self-improve. Some people look to the past and continue to live in that time and space but I know many people who struggle with worrying about the future. What category do I fall in?

I always get asked how I've dealt with such a traumatic event. How am I always so happy and healthy and energetic? And in honesty, I can't really come up with a clear answer. Some days it's not as easy as that. I try and roll with the punches, go with the flow and yes, live in the present moment, as much as I can. I surround myself with loving people and positive energy whenever I really can but I struggle just like everyone else.

Some nights I go to bed and cry. Or I have days (weeks, even) where I struggle to completely be in a good head-space. My inspiration spirals downwards - I can't draw, write, or make music. Some days I feel like I can't do anything at all and as frustrating as it is for me, it's okay. Sometimes you need to feel absolutely awful before things get better. It's a mental detox, so to speak. You're getting rid of the poison in your life and sometimes you'll get sick before you get better. But when you get better it's like a unicorn shot a rainbow out of it's horn and there's a plethora of cute bunnies and puppies at the end.

There's this traumatic event that constantly hangs over my head. I always say I'll probably never find closure for it. I haven't, yet. How do you even define closure? What does it consist of? I really, really don't know. You could argue that perhaps, I have already found it, but I don't feel like I have. Instead, I live with it and try not to let it rule my life - and it hasn't. You take what has happened to you and make it an experience to better yourself.

My sanctuary, is my now, my present moment, my well-being and health. My sanctuary is love in my friends and family and love in myself. Something bad happened to me and although I get sad and angry at what happened sometimes, I let myself feel those things and then realize that what came out of it was a better, stronger person who found out that she was more loved than she ever imagined she could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment