Sunday, December 16, 2012

On Dogs and Death


Anyone who knows me well knows that I absolutely love dogs and that I especially could not wait until I got to see my pups during my trip to Calgary to visit family and friends. When I first moved to Ontario the only thing I really was upset by was leaving my three wonderful companions behind who, always, greeted me happily every day. With that in mind, I didn't really expect that this trip would be the last time that Nicky would greet me at the gate and lick my hand. It's almost eerie how he held on until I came back just so he could tell me hello...and goodbye.

Nicky was one of the craftiest, smartest dogs I knew. He had a way around everything and would like to go on adventures. He'd always find a way to jump the fence or dig under it just so he could play with the neighbourhood dogs. You would have never imagined that he was as old as he was as he was always spry, youthful and playful as a puppy.

The worst part of this ordeal is that we adopted Nicky very close to when we adopted another dog, Cleo. They grew up together and were inseparable and you can only imagine the heartbreak that Cleo is going through without her brother. I'm doing what I can for her - keeping her company, but no one's cried more than she did.

Losing Nicky... it's a big loss for our family. In the end, I'm happy that I was able to spend most of his life with him and that I could see him before he finally passed away. I'll always love him and the way he would jump on me and knock me over.

Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment